Here’s how you go about submitting a new lolthulhu.
There’s two areas of the site: this main area, and a subsection at miscellany.lolthulhu.com. You don’t have to worry about which one to try and fit into – just submit your image and I’ll figure out where it should go. The main area has a more strict “feel” that I’m trying to maintain. Here’s the general philosophy that goes into the selection:
- The main area is mostly being kept to pretty strict lolcat-type images. ie: Unspeakable Horror Plus Caption. Images involving Cthulhu & Friends which are funny but not lolcattish are more likely to end up in the “miscellany” area.
- The main site is usually home to “realistic” looking Horrors, as opposed to cartoonish ones. Something that looks like a cartoon or line drawing will probably go to Miscellany.
- Photos involving plush or toy Cthulhus (or other cephalopod-based fuzzy things) tend to fall in the “cartoon” category for me.
- These are not, of course, absolute rules. It could very well be that you’ve got a non-lolcatty photo of a plush Cthulhu that you’ve spruced up with a cartoon Mi-Go that I feel belongs on the main site, and you may submit something which seems like it fits all my criteria for the main site but I feel fits better in the Miscellany section. I’m sure I’ve got macros on both sides which could arguably go in the other.
What follows is some vague legalese that you should probably peruse before submitting. I’m not entirely certain where all this technically stands in terms of parody/fair-use/derivative-work, etc, so take words like “license” and “copyright” with a grain of salt. Mostly I just adapted this from the submissions page at icanhascheezburger. Sending us a submission is an implicit agreement to the following:
- We are not obligated or required to use any captions, slogans, images, or designs you submit.
- By sending us your image, caption, slogan and/or design, you are giving us a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to use the submitted caption / image / slogan / design on lolthulhu.com, or future related websites.
If you do not agree to the terms above, you had best not submit anything.
To credit you properly, make sure to provide the following in your email:
- Your name (if you want)
- Your website URL (if you want)
- Where you acquired the image from
- If this is your creation, or something found on the internet
- If you really, really want your email address posted, tell me what to post. I won’t post an email unless you ask, though.
On a brief technical note, when I post an image, I’ll resize the image down to a width of 627 pixels for inlining on the main page, if necessary, and then link to the full-size version. If you feel like saving me a few seconds of work, feel free to resize it down yourself, though I don’t mind doing it myself.
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com.